Wednesday 8 June 2011

Day 8 - In the torrential rain

Awoken at 5am by the sound of rain hammering on my tent and this was to be the theme of the day! Set off at 7am & headed towards Lockbie and Glasgow on B7076 which ran parallel to the A74M.  This road passes through Dumfries and Galloway over the Southern Upland - more stunning scenery - if i stopped to take a picture of every fabulous view, I would not have anywhere today. 
Unfortunately the rain persisted for most of the day and at times was torrential.  In the end even the waterproofs didn't keep it out so it was grit teeth, head down and pedal on.  There is little or no shelter on a bike on this route. As I was wet anyway I decided to carry on and head for Glasgow, hoping to find a hotel on the outskirts before I reached there.  Unfortunately this was not the case and I ended up in central Glasgow where a hotel room for the night was a welcome sight!   
Another 87 miles on the road in the cold wet and wind, soaked through to the skin, hungry and tired, it was wonderful to finally drop my wet kit in the corner of a room and get in a hot shower. 
Despite the adverse conditions, it was a very enjoyable ride over the Southern Upland and I am pleased to have made it as far as Glasgow.
Thanks for all your messages, please keep them coming as on days like today, they really help me to keep going.  

No comments:

Post a Comment