Saturday 18 June 2011

Day 16 - The return journey starts

So here we go the return journey! Up early as normal, packed up after breakfast and said my goodbyes to the owners of a wonderful campsite in Wick http://www.wickcaravansite.co.uk/who had looked after me well and set off down the road - someone up here must love me because the weather is sunny & warm & I have a tail wind!!! Had a great journey south, stopping off in Helmsdale for a bacon sarnie & a cup of tea mid morning. Takeaway food up here is good, fresh plentiful and reasonably priced, £3 for the sarnie & tea in a china mug, not plastic!


 Came out of Caithness and I am now in Sutherland.








Came back through Berriedale Braes today which is a mental piece of road, 13% hill for about a mile, aaarrggh, but this time managed to cycle up it & then merrily cycled on to Brora.










Stopping over a different camp site than the one I stayed on my way up who had room for a "wee tent". It is right next to Wick Golf Course and very close to a couple of tees - let's hope they are good golfers up here!






I'm really happy because my legs haven't given me any trouble at all today, but I think the rear wheel bearing may be failing on the bike. Will have to stop at cycle repair shop tomorrow to get it looked at before it fails.

It does feel strange to now be heading home. I have seen several cyclists today heading north, seeming to be heading for JOG, many of whom waved and shouted good luck but they obviously did not know that I had completed LEJOG and was on my way back on JOGLE.

Thank you to everyone again for your calls, texts and FB posts, especially when I had reached JOG - it helped me celebrate my achievement (with of course the Carlsberg!) and made it feel all the more worthwhile. So I’m now closer to home & keep following the blog for my return journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment