Sunday 19 June 2011

Day 17 - Brora to Inverness

You would think after a 10,000 mile migration Artic Terns would have better things to do at 5am than sit outside my tent and shriek at the tops of their voices! Therefore not being able to get any more sleep I decided to leisurely pack up, have a coffee and leave Brora.

I was on the deserted road by 7.30 in beautiful weather, taking it easy making my way steadily down to Dornoch Firth down the A9 passing the 1000 mile mark just outside of Tain. I just had to stop and take these pictures as I just can't believe I've cycled so far!


















Travelling on I saw some superb sights and breathtaking scenery and believe it or not, I went past a lovely castle called Dunrobin Castle (small cream building on the right of this photo), it's name made me chuckle......




The bike has been playing up and continued to do so today making it a bit of a struggle at times. However crossing the bridge of Cromarty Firth, will always be a breathtaking sight whatever the weather and despite the state of the bike.

Eventually I came to Inverness and sought out a cycle shop called Tiso Inverness Outdoor Experience  www.tiso.com/uk_shops/tiso_inverness_outdoor_experience/     Walking in the door I saw a repairs area & asked the chaps behind the counter for some advice. They were so extremely helpful and after I had off loaded all the panniers and kit, took my bike into the workshop whilst I went for a coffee upstairs. Turns out one of the ball bearings in the wheel bearing on the rear axle had completely disintegrated. They cleaned it up, replaced the ball bearing & fitted a new rear tyre as the old one was well worn. All done in 45 minutes -  outstanding service and on a Sunday too, thank you very much guys, super job and I'm back on the road fully fixed and raring for more miles.

I am back at Brught camp site tonight in Inverness and ready for a different route tomorrow which will take me down the A9 once more through Aviemore to Newtonmore, right on the edge of the Cairngorms National Park, umm bet it's going to be hilly.............

No comments:

Post a Comment