Wednesday 22 June 2011

Day 20 - Forth Road Bridge & beyond!


After a shockingly bad night sleep in a bed (in fact in the early hours of the morning I took the duvet to the floor!), I packed up and left the Travelodge at about 8.30am and fortunately 200yds down the road was a Tesco so I was able to resupply with food and get a decent fortifying breakfast. Had a fantastic journey to Inverkeithing on quiet dry gently undulating sometimes flat roads.
Followed the cycle path to the Forth road bridge - no it's not the one you think it is, that's the rail bridge as in this photo! The Forth road bridge looks more like the Tamar Bridge.


Having cycled a mile along the dual carriageway on the cycle path, you get to the beginning of the road bridge to discover it was shut and there was a sign directing me to use the stairs, as in the photo, to go down under the bridge & up the other side and use the cycle path on the other side of the carriageway. A sign 1 mile previously directing me to the different path would have been a lot esier to deal with than 7 flights of steps. However I overcame this obstacle and ventured out onto the bridge, which shakes & wobbles quite badly!



After crossing the road bridge I found it relatively easy to find my way to Lanark despite several road closures & diversions which in a car can be annoying but on a bike are heartbreaking. The afternoon threw in a couple of very meaty climbs as well but I eventually found myself in Lanark and got the tent up just as the heavens opened, so I managed to keep everything dry. The weather forecast for tomorrow is to be dry - um, do I believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment